Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Dreamweaver


The Dreamweaver
Originally uploaded by RNSaffold

Via Flickr:
So lately I've been on a retro gaming kick, mostly visiting and re-visiting PC adventure games from the 1990's.
Last week I played King's Quest 7 (the one with the troll kingdom and the Princess Rosella), which was a very
female-centric game. I enjoyed the experience and humor, but found most of the game's impact on me was
one character-- the Dreamweaver. He appears right at the end of the game, and says maybe a total of 5 lines.
As a game mechanic, he's just another action/conversation to fill the gaps between important plot points, thus
extending the game and adding a little something to the player experience. I sometimes think gaming today as
an "artform" or "experience" sometimes clouds the essentials-- like story. I'm not saying that King's Quest 7 is a
masterpiece by any means, but the storytelling is so rich that I can garnish enough from a character in 5 lines
of script that I feel a personal attachment to them.

TLDR; I doodled something.

Adobe Illustrator CS4.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When will you post again ? Been looking forward to this !

Illustrations and more! http://www.rnsportfolio.blogspot.com